Problems You May Encounter When Using Lead Extensions and How to Solve Them

With better technology to preserve food, cook, prepare juice, do dishes or clean your clothes, you inevitably acquire many appliances. On the other hand, the power supply points allowing you to plug in and use these appliances does not keep pace with your purchasing. This is where power lead extensions come in handy. You need them to increase the number of points where you can plug in appliances. They also shorten the distance between the appliance and the source of power enabling you to operate it without having to move the appliance. Here are some problems you may encounter when using power lead extensions and how to solve them:

Damaged cables and exposed wires

Damaged cables are a common problem you will encounter when using power lead extensions. As much as the coating on the wires is tough, it can be damaged as it passes through windows and doors. Moreover, placing other items and walking over these cables also increases the risk of damaging the coating, which exposes the wires. Exposed wires make you susceptible to electric shock. In addition, exposed wires can lead to a short circuit that damages electrical appliances. It is important for you to inspect the power lead extensions regularly and check for any physical damage to the cables. If there is any, you should call an electrician to change the cabling.


The fact that power lead extensions have many points to plug in appliances does not mean that they are able to transmit huge loads of electric current. Most power lead appliances have a limitation on the current capacity they can carry. Often, manufacturers indicate the current capacity of the lead extension on a sticker attached to the extension or on the packaging. Overloading makes the lead extension to overheat, which causes short-circuiting and fire breakouts.

Since you may not be aware of the power needs for each appliance in your home, paying attention to the connections you make will help you reduce incidences of overloading. Do not connect many high current appliances to a single lead extensions. Such appliances include refrigerators, iron boxes, and water heaters.

Exposure to moisture

Water (moisture) is a good conductor of electricity. If you use an extension outdoors, a short circuit or electric shock can occur because the water interferes with the transmission of current among the wires carrying current. This can damage appliances, necessitating costly repair. If you need to use a lead extension outside the house, make sure that it has a protection device called a residual current device (RCD). The device terminates the supply of power to the extension in case of any interference.